Best of Publib Current Topics and Archives
This week in Best of Publib covers the weeks of November 8th through November 22nd. This week includes questions about collection development, thought provoking discussions about library photography, archiving the Grateful Dead, library materials security and damage, and generational conflicts. Some of the topics we will be reviewing include:
- Topic » The end of CD HotList – Rick Anderson in Utah announces the ending of the CD HotList – will he create a new directory?
- Topic » What is the Source of a Nativity story from Joseph’s point of view from Toby Greenwalkt in Skokie, IL – Answer The Handmaid and the Carpenter by E. Berg
- Topic » When customers are ill – Alison Moss in Lafayette, IN is looking for policies – Diedre Conkling references LibraryLaw
- Topic » Fun Games for little ones – Pam Karr in Redlands, CA wants your suggestions – Louis Alcorn recommends Tumblebooks
- Topic » 100th anniversary suggestions – Rita Squires in Dalles, OR wants to know how others celebrate
- Topic » Generational conflict and retiring librarians – Hillary Theyer in Torrance, CA wants resources
- Topic » Posting/identifying photos – Roger Carswell in Iola, KS wants to know policies for posting photos – what is the law?
- Topic » Legit site? – Cynthia Dieden wants to know some credentials – Trustee Fred Beisser evaluates
- Topic » Children’s registrations/multiple cards – Andrew Poplawski in Dartmouth, N.S. is looking at policies
- Topic » Archiving the Grateful Dead – Judy Anderson spots a hot dead head library job
- Topic » Teachers selling lesson plans – Sharon Foster wants to know if librarians are next.
- Topic » Locking book drops – Helen Rigdon wants to know if you are locking them for the holidays – are your materials secure?
- Topic » What would you tell a student? – Christie Brandau is teaching a MLIS course and wants your nuggets of library wisdom – Grace DeCandido offers her suggestions
- Topic » Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? – Lorie J. O’Donnell in Rome, NY is having a book discussion and wants to know what you would ask.
- Topic » Good resources for magazine/journal indexes – Andrea Lhotka in Sedona notes the lack of database support for indexing old magazines – what resources are out there – WorldCat ?
- Topic » Patron requests limits – Lynne Mildestein in Bend, OR wants to know if you are limiting active holds – can there be too many holds?
- Topic » A/V in bookdrop – Mary Soucie in Illinois want to know policies – How do you limit damage?
- Topic » ESL Website – Amber Sroka is putting together an ESL website and would like to see other examples
Please join us on BestofPublib Facebook
The Publib Archives
Filed under: Administration, Aquisitions, Book lists, Book selection, Budgeting, Cataloging, Children, Children's collections, Circulation, Collection development, Collection management, Cultural, current topics, Departments, Disaster planning, Employment, Ethics, Finance, GSLIS, Interlibrary loan, Library Organization, Library Profession, Media selection, Multimedia, Outreach, Outreach programs, Personnel, Public relations, Public Services, Reference, Security, Technical Services, Trustees, Web 2.0 / 3.0, Web librarianship, YA, YA Collections | 1 Comment »