Best of PubLib TV – Coming Soon!
This week in Best of Publib covers the week of February 8th through February 14th 2010. This week includes questions about public access computer security, thought-provoking discussions about sharing library buildings with community centers and government, distribution of e-book readers, and our new poll on rewarding staff innovation and initiative. Some of the topics we will be reviewing include:
- Topic » “Halo” series ♥ Phalbe Henriksen in North Carolina is researching the provenance of Halo – The books and comic series are adapted from the highly popular RPG featuring the character Master Chief
- Topic » NetLibrary vs. Overdrive ♥ Kimberly Francisco in Huntsville, TX would like current impressions of NetLibrary and Overdrive – Which products work best for you?
- Topic » Self-Check Machines ♥ Michele J. Capozzella in Danbury, CT is having trouble with self-check machines – What brands do you use and how are they working out?
- Topic » Applying for CDBG funds ♥ Michelle R. Mears in Enid, OK is reviewing the application process for Community Development Block Grants – How do you calculate your service area?
- Topic » Assistive technology for deaf/hard-of-hearing library users? ♥ Nora Armstrong in Fayetteville, NC is looking to replace an out of date TTY system – Which products work the best?
- Topic » Library Leadership Initiatives: your perspective, please! ♥ Nann Blaine Hilyard in Zion, IL is soliciting essays on Library Leadership for the Journal of the Public Library Association – Deadline is March 10th.
- Topic » E-book reader thread? ♥ Alana Abbott in Branford, CT seeks loan policies and procedures for pre-loaded e-book readers – What works the best?
- Topic » e-book Readers ♥ Library Science student – Esther Varela – is also researching e-book reader loan policies – Does your library loan Kindles or Sony Readers? Margaret Neil expressed concerns about restrictions on digital content use.
- Topic » Red Tag or DiscMate? ♥ Marsha Warfield in West Palm Beach, FL is comparing the Red Tag System to DiscMate – Which DVD / CD security system works best for you?
- Topic » Public libraries co-located with Community Centers ♥ Michael Golrick in Baton Rouge, LA is looking at libraries that share space with community centers – What are the best practices for cohabitation?
- Topic » Library & Local Government Shared Buildings? ♥ Laura J. Kraly in Davisburg, MI is working on a similar topic – What are some examples?
- Topic » Merchandising new fiction ♥ Janet Griffing in Wadsworth, OH is developing new fiction displays for the AV room – What a great idea to remind the computer users about depth of content! Do you display materials in your AV room?
- Topic » Midwest Tape books on CD and sturdy packaging ♥ John Richmond in Bartonville, IL seeks opinions on how SoundSafe cases compare to similar products – Which packaging system is the best long-term investment?
- Topic » usb bluesreen virus problem ♥ Donna Cain reports on a new problem with viruses on thumb drives / flash drive – Flash drives are causing blue screens and reboots along with file issues even with Compugard active – Editor’s Note: This is certainly something to watch out for on public access computers.
- Topic » Improvisational Drama ♥ Marie Brown in Lebanon, IN asks for policies and procedures on LARP – Live Action Role Playing events at libraries – How would you host an event at your library?
- Topic » Envisionware ♥ Julie Goyette in High Point, NC wants to know about PubLib reader experiences with Envisionware print management and reservation – Do you recommend Envisionware for a busy lab?
- Topic » Staff retreat ♥ Leslie Schow in Herriman, UT is about to open a new library in Utah! – Do PubLib readers have ideas for staff retreats?
- Topic » We don’t need no stinkin’ books! Once again…. ♥ George Hazelton reports on this article in the NYTimes about Cushing Academy plans to dismantle its print library
- Topic » Do you take patron photos for their ILS records? ♥ Andy Richmond in Rye NH is implementing photo components for his library’s ILS – What has been your experience with offering photo ids?
- Topic » Recognition for work well done ♥ Annette Weiss in Farmington Hills, MI would like examples of how to reward staff initiative and address patron and staff concerns – How do you reward staff initiative?
Take our poll!
Please join us on BestofPublib Facebook
The Publib Archives
Filed under: Administration, Aquisitions, Centralization, Circulation, Collection development, Collection management, Departments, Employment, Ethics, Finance, Government policy, GSLIS, Hardware, Library Organization, Library Profession, Media selection, Outreach, Personnel, Public relations, Public Services, Readers' advisory, Reference, Research, Security, Software, Technical Services, Technology, Terminology, Virtual, Web 2.0 / 3.0, Web librarianship | Tagged: CDBG, Discmate, Envisionware, ILS, LARP, NetLibrary, Overdrive, Reg Tag, Soundsafe, TTY | Leave a comment »