Best of Publib Current Topics and Archives
Best of PubLib TV – Coming Soon!
This edition of Best of Publib covers the week of February 22nd through February 28th 2010. This week included questions about advertising and accountability, use and implementation of ebook readers, and our new poll on charging library fees to support other government departments. Some of the topics we will be reviewing include:
- Topic » Signage for DVD thefts ♦ Mark P. Hasskarl at the Danbury Library in Connecticut wants to limit theft of DVDs – How have other libraries used signage to effectively reduce theft – Can’t you read the sign?
- Topic » Amazon Associates program ♦ Mark P. Hasskarl is also looking at the use of the Amazon Associates program by Libraries – Has your library become a successful reseller for Amazon.com?
- Topic » Paid Advertisements ♦ Andrea Taylor in Fullerton, CA addresses the broader topic of advertising in public libraries – Does you library permit advertising on date due slips and webpages?
- Topic » Cost of Items when Cataloging ♦ Andrea Taylor would also like to see examples of how libraries value collections – What is your formula for recognizing the cost of processing books?
- Topic » Looking for instructions for downloading Overdrive ebooks into Nooks ♦ Chris Rippel in Great Bend , Kansas has compiled a list of methods for working with Barnes & Noble’s Nooks and Overdrive ebooks – Does anyone have more to add?
- Topic » Library Card Text ♦ T. Ross at the District of Columbia Public Library wants to know what sort of text is included on your library cards and promises to compile the results – What do you say on your library card?
- Topic » Reference Question Sampling ♦ Travis Horton in Raleigh , NC is reviewing methods to compile reference question statistics – How do you count your questions?
- Topic » Library locker kiosks ♦ Corinne Dickman in Sparks , NV is looking at after hours pickup of library materials – Do you have a secure method of delivering the goods?
- Topic » Require photo ID for checkout? ♦ Hensley Roberts at the Atlanta-Fullerton Public Library wants to know if you require a photo id for checkout – Do you provide this layer of security for your collections?
- Topic » Help! Japanese tattoo books ♦ John Richmond in Bartonville , IL addresses collection development on Japanese tattoo art – What do you recommend as a resource?
- Topic » Low cost source for bulk ear buds? ♦ Matthew Hamilton at the Boulder Public Library is giving away ear buds to patrons and would like a low-cost source
- Topic » book leasing plans ♦ Melissa DeWild in Comstock Park , MI is comparing book leasing plans such as Brodart and McNaughton – What has been your experience with book leasing vendors?
- Topic » Redbox vending machines at libraries ♦ Bruce Flanders in Lawrence , KS is looking at the zoning and tax issues with providing Redbox vending machine in public libraries – Does the use of Redbox contradict library non-profit zoning?
- Topic » Nooks/Kindles Circulation ♦ Helen Silver in beautiful Boca Raton , FL is considering library loans of Nooks and Kindles – Do you charge a fee for this service?
- Topic » survey ♦ Cindy Hayes in High Ridge , MO requests examples of user surveys addressing downloadable e-books and audio files
- Topic » Charging fee for library materials by mail? ♦ Janet Griffing in Wadsworth , OH wants to know if your library provides mail services for a fee – Does your library deliver?
- Topic » Be a Part of PLA’s Virtual Conference with Virtual Poster Sessions ♦ Kathleen Hughes requests proposals from PubLib members for the Public Library Association virtual conference – The deadline for poster session proposals is March 8, 2010 at 4PM.
- Topic » Overdrive Download Kiosk ♦ Abigail Goben is reviewing the Download Kiosk product – what are Publib subscriber experiences with the Download Kiosk?
- Topic » Attaching bar codes to puppets ♦ Bridget Krejci at the Bloomer Library would like to know how you attach bar codes to circulating puppets – How do you track your puppets? – Would Lambchop approve?
- Topic » Public Access Computers for Job Seekers ♦ Jeff Lambert of Monrovia , CA has noted high use of library computers by job seekers – How does your library address increased demand? Does type of use dictate access?
- Topic » US Code ♦ Lynne S. Ingersoll in Blue Island , IL is revewing options to the $2,000 the print version of the US Code – Online alternatives include GPOAccess along with Cornell Law
- Topic » Facebook Policy ♦ Carl Long at the Reading Public Library in Pennsylvania would like examples of Library Facebook Page policies – How do you regulate your Facebook page?
- Topic » leadership retention plans ♦ Larry White at ECU in Greenville , North Carolina is studying leadership retention plans – Does your library have a policy of promoting from within?
- Topic » Construction Manager at Risk ♦ Su Epstein in Columbia , CT requests information on the library construction process – Is contracting with a Construction Manager at Risk superior to contracting with an Architect?
- Topic » ergonomics? ♦ Nicole Pasini in San Mateo , CA is addressing a new repetitive motion injury from opening and closing CD and DVD cases – Have other libraries been affected by this malady?
- Topic » Friday humor: Unshelved tax season ♦ Elisa Babel (appropriately in Washington, DC) invites us to look at the humor of tax time
- Topic » 39 Clues books ♦ Chris Ely at the Whitewright Library would like to know how other libraries deal with the cards in 39 Clues Books
- Topic » Charging for library use in AZ? ♦ Joe Schallan directs up to this story out of Prescott , AZ . Should libraries charge for use to support other government departments? Take our poll!
Take our poll!
Please join us on BestofPublib Facebook
The Publib Archives
Filed under: Activity programs, Administration, Book lists, Book selection, Budgeting, Cataloging, Centralization, Children, Children's collections, Circulation, Collection development, Collection management, Contracting out, current topics, Databases, Employment, Ethics, Finance, Government policy, GSLIS, Humor, Intellectual freedom, Library Organization, Library Profession, Media selection, Mobile, On-line, Personnel, Public relations, Public Services, Reference, Regional, Research, Security, Societies, State, Technical Services, Technology, Virtual, Web 2.0 / 3.0, Welfare admin | Tagged: Amazon, Brodart, Facebook, Kindle, Nook, Overdrive, publib, puppets, Redbook | Leave a comment »