Best of Publib Current Topics and Archives
Video coming soon
This week in Best of Publib covers the week of December 7th through December 13th. This week includes questions about building collections in Western, Urban Fiction and Romance genres along with thought-provoking discussions about library organization, library reorganization and control of libraries. Some of the topics we will be reviewing include:
- Topic » olympics? – Sharon Dalton in Parlin, NJ would like to know about Olympic themes for marketing library programs and materials.
- Topic » urban fiction – Elizabeth Fraser in Charleston WV is looking for good urban fiction resources.
- Topic » Mail Chimp – Lisa Pappas in Plainfield, IL wants to know who is using Constant Contact and who is using Mail Chimp – How do they compare?
- Topic » RESUME – Karen Hertel in Idaho asks – what to include on librarian resumes – Are academic librarian resumes the same as public librarian resumes?
- Topic » Moving from a municipal department to an association library? – Laurel Goodgion in Wethersfield CT seeks examples of municipal libraries that became independent libraries.
- Topic » Reorganizing customer service | Library organization structure – Janice Painter in Princeton, NJ is investigating cross training and various innovative methods of reorganization.
- Topic » software questions – Helen Rigdon in Kansas City, Kansas wants to know if libraries qualify for academic price breaks on software – Is Open Office a viable alternative and what about TechSoup?
- Topic » Flooring material – Connie Meyer in Fort Atkinson, WI is finishing a building project and seeks flooring suggestions.
- Topic » Rental Ready Videos vs retail editions, Library edition audiobooks vs. retail editions – Jeanette Piquet in Richmond Heights, MO is looking for guidance on vendor definitions – What are the legal and ethical ramifications?
- Topic » Building upon an existing Romance Collection – Sherise Pagan is looking for web site sources to help develop a Romance collection
- Topic » Western Paperbacks – Ann Moore in New York is looking for sources for up-to-date paperback westerns
- Topic » Bags for Patrons, plastic or otherwise – Rebecca Hermen in Michigan is looking for economical, green library bag guidance
- Topic » Kirkus is shutting down – Mamie Ney in Maine gives the sad news about the cessation of Kirkus
- Topic » Friday funny – Elizabeth Thorson in Cheyenne, WY reports on extraordinary autographs located in The 100 Greatest Metal Guitarists
- Topic » Controlling Libraries – Who should control public libraries? Should ALA? Should ethics? Should politicians? Should professional librarians? 42 ? Take our poll!
Take the poll –
Please join us on BestofPublib Facebook
The Publib Archives
Filed under: Administration, Architecture, Book selection, Budgeting, Centralization, Circulation, Collection development, Collection management, Departments, Donations, Employment, Ethics, Finance, Furnishings, Government policy, Grants, Humor, Intellectual freedom, Interiors, Library Organization, Library Profession, Open Source, Personnel, Public relations, Public Services, Regional, Research, Software, Special Collections, Technical Services, Technology, Terminology, Trustees, Web 2.0 / 3.0 | 1 Comment »