Best of Publib Current Topics and Archives
This week in Best of Publib covers the week of November 2nd through November 8th. This week includes questions about collection management, discussions about language learning systems , library crime, and the do’s and don’ts of library work. Some of the topics we will be reviewing include:
- Topic » Major news regarding Highwood (IL) PL – Karen Turk brings us news of library board members being dismissed – Does this create a new precedent?
- Topic » CDs – Cataloging and displaying – Donald Crews in Union, Kentucky wants to know how you organize your CD collections –
- Topic » Help finding a website on library legal issues – Elizabeth Fraser wants to locate a website for library legalities – Diedre Conkling recommends LibraryLaw
- Topic » V-ness – In a twist of the discussion on the Oak Brook incident – M. McGrorty in Los Angeles tries to define the nature of vileness – Does gender weigh heavily or is vileness a universal condition?
- Topic » Waiver of Responsibility for Displayed Art – Sue Violino in Norwalk, CT is looking for examples of art display waivers – Is public art a public risk?
- Topic » A Spoooky Tale of Shameless Self Promotion – David Wright the Seattle Public Library is telling stories on NPR – Listen !
- Topic » Social networking policies – PubLib moderator Karen Schneider is looking for examples – How do you control in-house 2.o use?
- Topic » 50 things [library staff] should never do – Tom Cooper in Webster Groves, Missouri is creating a list – Are there more do’s than don’ts?
- Topic » Language Learning Systems – Natalie Morgan wants to know what you are using – Byki , Mango , PowerSpeak and Tell Me More get recommended.
- Topic » library robberies – The 50 things discussion diverged into library crime – what will they steal next?
- Topic » MA Library in trouble – Melissa Mannon gave us the news that the Massachusetts State Library is under the gun – what is the governor thinking?
- Topic » Library Jobs – There is a new tool available – maybe it can help you!
- Topic » Helping Friends – Marita Squires in Oregon wants to know your policies for staff helping Library Friends – When is helping friends hurting staff?
- Topic » Trackball Abductions – are trackballs being abused or is this a false memory? – PubLib members want to know!
Please join us on BestofPublib Facebook
The Publib Archives
Filed under: Administration, Cataloging, Circulation, Collection development, current topics, Databases, Employment, Ethics, Friends Groups, Humor, Intellectual freedom, Library Organization, Library Profession, Media selection, Multimedia, On-line, Personnel, Public Services, Readers' advisory, Reference, Research, Security, Software, Technical Services, Technology, Terminology, Trustees, Web 2.0 / 3.0, Web librarianship, Women