Best of Publib Current Topics and Archives
This week in Best of Publib includes some elegant and thoughtful discussions on collection development, the value of GSLIS programs and the future of public libraries – some of the topics we will be reviewing include:
- Topic – Displaying Reserved Items – practical information including self-serve holds and self-check out methods.
- Topic – Guilt – Jobs and People – Library filth – Joe Schallan’s musings on the meaning of GSLIS and the ‘microbial ecology’ of the public library.
- Topic – Proper conduct by retired librarians – Joe Schallan’s introspective look at the career endgame – do old librarians just check out or is there more, much more?
- Topic – Library-based IT troubleshooting services – should we help patrons fix those computer things or CTRL ALT DEL the request for help?
- Topic – Carpet alternatives – flooring alternatives for busy community rooms – hypoallergenic and stain resistant alternatives?
- Topic – IRS forms – the forms have attracted patrons in droves – but what problems are happening with the 1099?
- Topic – Fear of Facebook – the Web 2.0 is now becoming 3.0 and many librarians concerned with the implications of social networks – how to cope with the changes?
- Topic – Part-time employment – Wal-Mart — the future – Wal-Mart is making changes – some which parallel library trends – should we be concerned ?
Please join us on BestofPublib Facebook
The Publib Archives
Please note that the list moderator has notified the readership that you are not allowed to discuss Wal-Mart any more. You know who you are.
Filed under: Administration, Circulation, Ethics, Furnishings, Hardware, Humor, Intellectual freedom, Interiors, Library Profession, Public Services, Software, Technical Services, Technology, Web 2.0 / 3.0 Tagged: | Facebook