A Tribute to Karen Schneider: outgoing co-moderator of PubLib
On Sat Jun 18 2011 Publib co-moderator Karen Schneider announced two major Upcoming changes to the PUBLIB list :
1. Migration of the listserve hosting from Webjunction to OCLC.
2. Her departure as co-moderator of the PubLib listserve after 15 years of service to the growing Publib community.
Co-moderator Sara Weissman provided Publib with a an overview of some of the many intellectual/ administrative contributions Karen Schneider has made to help develop this dynamic Publib community :
1. PubLib postings by and about Karen Schneider number over 6000
2. Karen Schneider’s numerous insights include her ”Internet Reference Success Stories, job announcements, policy questions galore, using the Internet for fun and benefit, announcements from ALA and its many divisions, humorous reference questions, patrons and accompanying animals, skylights, cafes in public libraries, the homeless, etc., etc., etc. “
3. PubLib subscribers grew from 2,700 to 10,458 strong.
Nann Blaine Hilyard – Director of the Zion-Benton Library has suggested a fitting, colorful tribute to Karen for her generous contributions to the PubLib community:
To thank Karen Schneider for her years as co-moderator of PubLib, we are going to give her a bookshelf quilt. If all 10,000 PubLibbers contribute, so much the better—she’ll have a library-filled quilt!
By July 31, 2011, PubLibbers are asked to create signature blocks.
Here is how:
♦ Cut a piece of woven cotton fabric 2.5” x 5”.
♦ Any color.
♦ Must be woven. If there are no sewists in your household or among your colleagues, consider using a a piece from a shirt or a sheet.
♦ No knits. No textures (no terrycloth or corduroy).
♦ On that piece of fabric write your name and library or town – however you want to be identified. (If you use a pseudonym, that’s fine.)
♦ If possible use a Pigma brand pen. (Scrapbookers, quilters, and artists in other media use them.)
♦ Alternatives: a gel pen, a fine-tip Sharpie, India ink are all okay.
♦ Any color of ink is okay.
♦ *DO NOT USE* a Flair, a fountain pen, or a ballpoint pen.
♦ Keep a 1/4 to 1/2- inch margin all around the block. Do not write in the margin (that’s the seam allowance).
Send the signature block to: Nann Blaine Hilyard, Zion-Benton Public Library, 2400 Gabriel Ave.,Zion, IL 60099 BY JULY 31, 2011.
If you want to enclose a couple of bucks to defray the cost of fabric, thread, and batting that Nann will use create the quilt, that would be great.
Nann Blaine Hilyard, director
Zion-Benton Public Library
2400 Gabriel Ave.
Zion, IL 60099
Please join us on BestofPublib Facebook
The Publib Archives
A Tribute to Karen Schneider
Filed under: current topics, Ethics, GSLIS, History of Libraries, Humor, Intellectual freedom, Library Marketing, Library Organization, Library Profession, Mentoring, Minorities, On-line, Outreach programs, Public relations, Public Services, Public-academic, Research, Societies, Technical Services, Technology, Terminology, Web librarianship, Women | Tagged: ALA Annual, bookshelf quilt, Karen Schneider, Nann Blaine Hilyard, OCLC, Pigma pen, publib, publib archives, Sara Weissman, WebJunction | Leave a Comment »