Posted on January 16, 2010 by Robert Balliot ,MLIS
American Library Association Mid-Winter Meeting
We consumed the Boston Convention Center exhibit hall today. Boston is nearly 50 degrees farenheit! We will feature some of the most interesting exhibitors and products that we found in a special edition of Best of Publib on January 20th – we have pictures of them all. But tonight, we dine with Canadians!
Filed under: Architecture, Contracting out, Employment, Finance, Furnishings, Interiors, Library Profession, Societies | Tagged: ALA, GSLIS, library organizations, public librarians, public libraries | Leave a Comment »
Posted on September 19, 2009 by Robert Balliot ,MLIS
Best of Publib Current Topics and Archives
This week in Best of Publib covers two weeks - September 7th to September 19th. PubLib was being upgraded by OCLC/Webjunction on September 13th. The last two weeks include fanciful discussions about library ecology, thought provoking discussions regarding LSSI, evaluation of Better World Books , staff cell phones, and how to effectively weed old librarians. Some of the topics we will be reviewing include:
- Topic - Florida Librarians Fight Back Against LSSI - Obviously, someone thinks libraries are profit centers. Why else would they sue?
- Topic - Needing Librarians – What role should Librarians have in national debates? Can we still help facilitate critical thinking or is reasoning a thing of the past?
- Topic - Pulling the Plug - Should a bill be enacted to eliminate old librarians?
- Topic - Funny Names for Patrons - Learn the stories of Old Smeller, Peter Pan, Generals Hershey Bar and Wastemoreland. Did they have nicknames for us too?
- Topic - Safelink - Are there ’free’ cell phones and airtime sponsored by the government? Apparently, libraries are supposed to help with this. IRS and FCC outlets?
- Topic - Philadelphia Free Libraries - This venerable institution initiated by Dr. Pepper was in danger of closing. Supporters came though and the library was saved.
- Topic - The World is Flat - Local government functions are being downsized and outsourced. What is next for Librarians?
- Topic - Staff Cell Phones - Do staff members need cell phones to function or is it a myth of marketing ? Should you hear me now?
- Topic - The 62-Cent Solution from the Reminiscences of Joe Schallan, MLS - How does one cope with the priviledged patron?
- Topic - Current Events - The national political discussion spills over to Publib. Should Librarians participate in those discussion?
Please join us on BestofPublib Facebook
The Publib Archives
The Publib archives from the Webjunction listserve are available here: Archives
Filed under: Administration, Centralization, Centralized processing, Collection development, Collection management, Contracting out, current topics, Finance, Government policy, Hardware, Humor, Intellectual freedom, Library Profession, Public relations, Technology, Welfare admin | Leave a Comment »